The CUPE Professional Development Fund is outlined in Article 27 and Schedule C of the Board/CUPE Collective Agreement and is a group fund that is available to CUPE members in addition to your individual professional development allowance ($300 per member per year for up to five years accumulated).
CUPE Professional Development Fund Committee is now accepting applications for the CUPE Professional Development (PD) Fund and we encourage you to apply if you have an upcoming professional development activity.
Our procedures have been temporarily adjusted due to the circumstances and uncertainties caused by the current pandemic and emergency medical regulations. Given the current pandemic, for the interim, we are accepting “retro” (activities occurring May 1, 2020 onward).
You may apply for funding for an event that occurs later within the current fiscal year (not just within this quarter). Relevant information about content and relevancy must be provided before the Review Committee can fund the activity. For example, the Review Committee may approve, in July 2020, an application for an event to occur in January 2021, but this approval may be “conditionally approved” if additional information is needed. It is also likely that some events will be approved as “conditionally approved” because it is unclear what the travel and social distancing rules will be at the time of the planned event. Events that are to be held virtually are encouraged and will be funded when they meet the criteria outlined in the CUPE 3911 collective agreement.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2020 (applications will be accepted up to August 4 which is the next business day)
How to Submit a CUPE PD Fund Application:
- Applications are accepted via the AU ROMEO system.
- You must have an account to access the AU ROMEO system. If you do not have an account set up, please create one by following these instructions.
- Fully complete and submit your application on or before the application deadline. The committee will not review late or incomplete applications.
- Once an application is submitted, it will route to Learning Services Tutorial for processing, then to the CUPE PD Fund Committee for adjudication.
- Results of the review will be shared via email (via the AU ROMEO system). Please check your Junk Folder often, as communications from the Romeo System may (at first) be recognized as spam.
If you receive an award: If your plans include travelling outside of the Province of Alberta, you are required to apply for pre-approval within AU’s new expense management system – Chrome River).
Within 30 days of completion of your PD activity, you are required to submit an online expense claim and CUPE PD Fund Final Report. The final report will be posted on both the CUPE and AU CUPE PD website (both currently under development) to showcase the various PD activities of members. The requirement to submit an expense claim.
Chrome River Expense Training: https://train.lms.athabascau.
Routing of expense reports is fully automated. You no longer have to set up your approver(s) before submitting a claim as there is no manual routing of expense claims. Approver(s) now have access to all receipts and supporting documents electronically within the system, allowing them to make the appropriate, data-driven approval action.
Take pictures of your receipts and attach them directly to your reimbursement request. You will no longer need to send in paper receipts or email receipts separately.
How to Use the AU ROMEO System:
Accounts have already been created for you in the AU ROMEO System using your AU email address. However, you will need to create a password by doing the following before you submit an application:
USERNAME: Please type in your complete AU email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
PASSWORD: Follow the instructions below:
- Click “Reset Password” – You will receive an email confirming your registration. If you do not receive this email, check your spam filters. The subject line is “Re: Researcher Portal Registration Confirmation” from email@example.com. If you still cannot find the confirmation email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Copy the confirmation code in the email, and follow the link provided. The confirmation code is for one-time use only. Paste the code into the “Confirmation code” box. If your confirmation code doesn’t work, make sure there is no space before or after the code.
- Choose a password that meets the following minimum requirements:
- 8–16 characters long
- 1 uppercase letter (A–Z)
- 1 lowercase letter (a–z)
- 1 number (0–9)
- Re-enter your password in the “Confirm Password” box.
- Click the “Confirm” button.
If you do not have an account set up, please create one by following these instructions.
For questions, assistance with the ROMEO system, or to provide feedback regarding the CUPE PD Fund process, please contact Learning Services Tutorial at email@example.com or 780-675-6196.